Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I need to expose a crime with no risk of being discovered as

Customer Question

I need to expose a crime with no risk of being discovered as the reporter of the crime.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 months ago.

In most states there's a Crimestoppers site where you can report a crime anonymously to the authorities. Most police departments will have a link for you to file an anonymous email report. There may also be a police hotline where you don't have to leave your name.

If you provide a little more information, such as where the crime is taking place (just the state) and the nature of the crime, I should be able to be more specific.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Crimes toppers not good for this. Man making port with kids in house and providing kids with drugs and alcohol. If I am exposed he will kill me. Needs to look like it is coming from someone he can't from another city.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 months ago.

Go to a public phone somewhere and make an anonymous complaint to Child Protective Services. They will investigate the household, remove the kids and turn the matter over to the authorities. Or, like I said, email the police anonymously. You can do it from a computer in a public library and nobody would have to know it came from you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you sure public library computer users can't be identified in these tiny towns everyone knows there a way for them to track what library it came from?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm scared.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 months ago.

Most police stations don't have the facilities to track down a computer IP address. You could use a computer at an internet cafe or somewhere else where you wouldn't be known.

Frankly, you can report it in person right to the prosecutor's office. They are accustomed to dealing with complainants and other witnesses, all of whom are just as scared as you are. They should be able to tell you how they can protect you before you come forward with the information.