Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law

I was convicted of a DCWI in Alabama when I was 18. I am now

Customer Question

I was convicted of a DCWI in Alabama when I was 18. I am now being sentenced for a DUI 50 years later in Colorado. Is this considered my second or first? I read an article in the local paper that said that DUI as an underage driver can not be considered.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 6 months ago.

Hello. I will help you with this questions. I have been an attorney for 26 years and will research this for you. When you say you are being sentenced, did you already take a plea? Are you charged with a misdemeanor or a felony?

The answer to your question is that your prior DCWI counts. There is no limit to the number of years Colorado looks back even to convictions in other states. Colorado also has zero tolerance laws for underage drinkers who get caught driving. Your conviction when 18 will count. I think that it is 50 years between convictions may count in your favor. Also, your work history and family connections should be brought to the judge's attention

Please let me know if you have more questions. I will be happy to help more. If you are satisfied with my help please rate my service. Good luck!