RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

In the state of Illinois if you have an order of protection

Customer Question

In the state of Illinois if you have an order of protection on someone and you are the on who violates it can you be arrested? I have a court date to have it dropped and am wanting to know if the judge with send me to jail when appearing in front of him to ask for it to be dropped
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

No, you will not get in trouble for violating your own protection order. The restraining order is meant to protect the victim from contact by the defendant, not vice versa. Only the defendant can violate the restraining order by contacting you; on the other hand, you cannot be criminally responsible for making contact with the defendant.

If you need clarification or additional information, please reply and I'll be happy to assist you further.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

If you need clarification or additional information, please reply, and I'll be happy to assist further. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave a positive rating (4-5 stars) as that is the only way experts on this site are compensated for our time and expertise, even if you left a deposit. Thank you.