Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My son was charged with felony vandalism by s previous

Customer Question

My son was charged with felony vandalism by his previous landlord. His landlord had posted an eviction notice then proceeded to harass my son with text messages, showing up at his house every morning. The worse was when the landlord let himself into my son's house without notice, and my son found him in his bedroom when he woke up. These aggressive acts forced my son to flee the residence, leaving behind possessions, and a few minor repairs undone. The landlord sent my son pictures of the inside of the house in a state my son did not leave it. The landlord posted libelous statements about my son and the company he works for. What should my son do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please clarify:

1) What state is this in?

2) "My son was charged with felony vandalism by his previous landlord." You mean that is the same landlord that posted an eviction notice and then began harassing him, or a different one?

3) What was the basis for the eviction?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Ely,
State of California. Same landlord that posted the eviction, and the landlord wanted to move into the property following a divorce. My son was up to date on his rent, and the landlord kept his $1,500 deposit. My son left the property before the 30 eviction days was up.
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.
Thank you.
The landlord posted an eviction notice for your son. He cannot evict without cause. What was the (alleged) cause for the eviction? Example:
-non payment of rent
-breach of contract
-something else
Why did he not fight the eviction when he was served?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This happened August 2015. Prior to the eviction notice, the landlord did not like the roommate situation at the house, and wanted to raise the rent, this is what he told my son. It was only later that we found out the landlord moved in to the property after his divorce.
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. I have to go offline, and I do not want you to wait for me to reply hours from now. I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other experts who will be able to reply sooner.
Your JustAnswer Account has not been charged for this conversation and your question is back in the queue. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should an expert pick it up, you should be alerted via email and/or SMS (text message) unless you actively disable these features.
There is no need for you to reply at this time as this will "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other experts' access to it.
My apologies for any inconvenience and good luck...
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 months ago.

This is Samuel. And I will discuss this and provide you information since your prior professional opted out.

Can you tell me, however, what is it you need information for? Clearly list the questions in this regard.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your response. Opting out of this service. Retained an attorney for this case.

Thank you and good luck with everything.