P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.

My friend who is 21 years of age got a temporary drivers

Customer Question

My friend who is 21 years of age got a temporary drivers license from the state of Arizona after changing his residency from Florida to Arizona, later that day he attempted to purchase a pack of cigarettes from circle K and turned him down because of the temporary license. He walked over to a local liquor store and purchased a pack of cigarettes. However, when my friend pulled out his credit card to pay, his original Florida ID that was hole punched by the DMV was under the same spot of the credit card due to force of habit because he had legally obtained the same day a Arizona ID and put the Florida license in the same slot, The clerk noticed it was from Florida and said "oh Florida" , he did not ask to see the ID, it was mostly covered by the outline of the wallet, hes not sure if he glanced over it, but my friend said "i moved here about 6 weeks ago", which is true via lease agreement. he was carrying his valid Arizona ID but was never asked to physically present it to the clerk. He walked out with the pack after paying, no issues what so ever. What kind of offense is this ? The original license from Florida was not false in anyway with the birth date or name and was legally obtained but hole punched, my friend had no intent of committing any sort of crime and lives well within the law. No priors and is 21 years of age.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 months ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to helpI am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. What do you mean "what kind of offense is this"...was your friend cited for a criminal offense? If so which one?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No charges or citations, my friend is just anxious about what kind of offense this simple innocent mistake can lead to in the near future.
What you are describing is not a crime. If your friend was 21 years of age? He is entitled to purchase alcohol.He committed no offense.Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
would that fall under "false representation of identification" ?
Sorry...are you referring to an Arizona statute? If so which one (there is no "false representation of identification" statute...but if you have a statute number I can explain what it means. And what you are describing, again, is not a crime.
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.Please rate the answer so I may receive credit
Thanks for your understanding