LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience

Child with no seatbelt ticket. my child was in a seat belt

Customer Question

child with no seatbelt ticket. my child was in a seat belt but was seated on someones lap. they were belted together. Im going to trial on the ticket. Whats my best defense to win the case
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You asked: Whats my best defense to win the case

I hope that I don't need to tell you just how dangerous it is to seat belt a child or infant into the lap of another passenger. Children are much more easily seriously injured and even killed in a collision when seat-belted in this manner.

Unfortunately, you don't have a defense to the charge. CA seal belt law requires that each occupant have their own seat and their own seat-belt. Tandem seat belting is not allowed and is still in violation of the law.

If you can pay the fine without appearing in court, then just pay it and be done with it. If you have a mandatory appearance, then just plead guilty and explain to the judge that you won't ever do that again, and that you have learned that tandem belting is very dangerous and you were not aware of that before you were stopped.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
there isn't a lesser charge?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

No, there is no lesser charge to a seat belt citation.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

You may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further.

I wish you well,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,