Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Over A Decade Of Criminal Law Experience
12711280

I live in Gwinnett county, ga. My probation officer wants me

Customer Question

I live in Gwinnett county, ga. My probation officer wants me to take an etg test later today. I will fail it. Will I go to jail?
JA: My brothers got into lots of trouble with the law when they were young. The Criminal Lawyer will know how to get you the best outcome. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I'm on probation for reckless driving. My probation officer wants me to come in for an etg screening that I will fail. Will I be placed under arrest?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: No.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 8 months ago.

The answer to your question really depends on many factors, such as but not limited to, the stipulations surrounding your parole (if you fail a test, you void parole), the prosecutor, the judge and your prior arrest record. If you know you will fail the test, the best course of action is to immediately check yourself into an inpatient rehab facility to combat your problem. If you complete a rehab, even while on parole, you give yourself a really good shot at avoiding incarceration.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (THREE OR MORE STARS) so I can receive credit for my response.

Best wishes going forward!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm on probation, not parole.

Good...sorry I missed that. Even still, the advice is the same. I violation of probation can result in jail time - in fact, it is more likely than not unless proper steps are taken. A rehab stint, even if only a week or two, can work towards avoiding time in jail or another charge. It shows your willingness to acknowledge an issue and take steps to solve it. It shows responsibility.

Let me know if you have other questions and please rate my answers positively. Thanks

Just checking to see if you had any additional questions. I want you to be as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks!