Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

Recently I was ticketed four times when a police officer

Customer Question

Hello Michelle,
Recently I was ticketed four times when a police officer drove by my neighborhood and only the vehicles living in my home were ticketed for parking on the sidewalk. The rest of the cars around the neighborhood, were not citated. I have now learned that a neighbor called his daughter, who is a police officer but not for the district where we reside, and this neighbor had his daughter ticket my vehicles, I just dont know whether she gave the tickets, or she called someone else from my district to do it. Yesterday, another police officer gave me two tickets for having for sale signs on two of my cars. Both cars were parked in front of my house, (curbside), and both are registered and insured. Is this a conflict of interest of some sort? I fell like this is very unethical what they did. Please help, I need guidance.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
First question is, based on my incident, what can I legally do to defend myself for this abuse of power? Is there a conflict of interest or unethical behavior on the police who are only targeting me and my household?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello Dwayne,Recently I was ticketed four times when a police officer drove by my neighborhood and only the vehicles living in my home were ticketed for parking on the sidewalk. The rest of the cars around the neighborhood, were not citated. I have now learned that a neighbor called hisdaughter, who is a police officer but not for the district where we reside, and this neighbor had his daughter ticket my vehicles, I just dont know whether she gave the tickets, or she called someone else from my district to do it. Yesterday, another police officer gave me two tickets for having for sale signs on two of my cars. Both cars were parked in front of my house, (curbside), and both are registered and insured. Is this a conflict of interest of some sort? I fell like this is very unethical what they did. Please help, I need guidance.

I am assuming that the tickets were for behavior that actually occurred as opposed to something you would plead "not guilty" to and proceed.

If so, then the fact that you were singled out and ticketed doesn't mean the tickets were not valid or that you don't have to pay them. It's similar to how on the highway there may be a line of cars traveling at 80 mph but only one gets pulled over and a ticket given. They can't avoid liability for that ticket by using the "other people were doing it too defense".

While it may be a conflict of interest, I don't think it is as that term is used in the law, that doesn't void the tickets either.

Essentially there is no way to avoid paying the tickets other than to sue the police department for a violation of your civil rights and then hope that they are willing to drop the prosecution to settle the case. However, you would spend much more in attorney's fees than the costs of the tickets. You can also file a complaint with the police department through whatever process they have and then appeal that decision until you get a favorable ruling or run out of appeals. As an example, if it is a small town many complaints go from the chief of police directly to the city council and I have seen them resolve the matter by asking the officer to dismiss the ticket in exchange for the complaint being dropped. However, you would likely want to hire a lawyer to have a real shot at that as well.