Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Over A Decade Of Criminal Law Experience
12711280

I have been charged with purchasing and lifetime hunting and

Customer Question

I have been charged with purchasing and lifetime hunting and fishing permit by fraud, the incident happened in the fall of 2010,,,it is now march 2016 and i had a visit from the Arizona fish and game issuing me a ticket, class 2 misdemeanor, has the statute of limitations run out. I have been able to determine that it is 5 years but it is unclear as to when the statue of limitations begins, i have always been in Arizona every winter and i have never used the license, it was awarded to me for being 100% VA disabled by the State of Arizona
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of criminal law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

The statute of limitations for most misdemeanors in Arizona is actually 1 year. The statute begins to run at the moment of the offense. This is the case with most criminal offenses, whereas with most civil offenses, the statute of limitations begins to run at the moment of discovery or a reasonable time after the offense occurred.

In the present case, it sounds like the charge should be dismissed with prejudice against you because any applicable statute of limitations would have run. Felonies in Arizona have a 7 year statute of limitations, with the exception of heinous crimes like murder. Since this is not a felony, you are or should be judgment proof here.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars) so I can receive credit for my response.

Best wishes!

Just checking to see if you had any additional questions. I want you to be as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks!

Just checking in again. This is important to me because it is important to you. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!