Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Lawyer
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

My brother-in-law, 87, with cancer took an overdose with s

Customer Question

My brother-in-law, 87, with cancer took an overdose with his 95 year old wife with Alzheimers thinking he was committing a legal act of assisted suicide. Both were resuscitated and he is now in jail charged with attempted murder and a $500,000 bail. What should I do to help him?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I'll be happy to help you.

I'm so sorry about the situation that your B-I-L is in. I would advise your family to hire an attorney skilled in end of life litigation to assist with this matter. Unfortunately there's not much you can do without an attorney. Just so you're aware of the law, California recently passed an end of life/assisted suicide bill but it doesn't go into effect until June of this year. Therefore, it's exceptionally important to have a good attorney on your side. It is astonishing to me that the state would want to put away someone with cancer (perhaps terminal... is it terminal?) but unfortunately the law dictates a lot of what prosecutors do - and sometimes there just isn't a lot of wiggle room. Was the wife diagnosed with alzheimers definitively? It would be very helpful if she was not, because at that point it wouldn't be murder - it would be attempted joint suicide, but that's something a lawyer can disentangle (and medical experts may be required to do so).

Please let me know if you need additional clarification. If you are satisfied with your assistance, please take a moment to submit a rating; we only get credit for the assistance we provide if you are satisfied AND ALSO submit a rating. Please don't feel like we have to stop speaking after you submit a rating; I'm happy to continue talking, and if you have follow-up questions please don't hesitate to ask.