Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
81266493

I just got a ticket, no not yet, i got a ticket 462-862, the

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: i just got a ticket
JA: The Criminal Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no not yet
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: i got a ticket 462-862
JA: Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: the cop said its reckless driving
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: by speed
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hi , i got a speeding ticket of reckless driving by speed 462-862 , what are the consequences of this?
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 10 months ago.

Hello. I will help you with your questions. I have been an attorney for 26 years. I need to know if you have any prior convictions.

Also, what county in Virginia is this? Can you take a picture of the ticket and attach it here?

While you are answering these questions, here is what this law says:

§ 46.2-862. Exceeding speed limit.

A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.

§ 46.2-868. Reckless driving; penalties.

A. Every person convicted of reckless driving under the provisions of this article shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Class 1 misdemeanor, this is NOT a prepayable offense and you MUST APPEAR in court for this violation.

A Class 1 misdemeanor, reckless driving is considered a criminal offense and carries the same misdemeanor classification as many other criminal offenses such as DUI, Assault and Battery, and Petty Larceny. The penalties for a reckless driving conviction can include any or all of the following:

• Up to a $2,500 fine
  • Up to 12 months in jail
  • Up to 6 months loss of driving privilege

You may also face points on your license charged by the DMV. This will impact your insurance.

Your prior convictions may impact the amount of fine and the possible jail time.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I will be happy to help more. If you are satisfied with my help, please rate my service.