P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.

I was recently charged with shoplifting in Kroger in

Customer Question

I was recently charged with shoplifting in Kroger in Dunbar,WV. I never made it out of the self checkout line. I had 2 bottles of beer in my pocket and was going to ring up some of my other items extra which would have exceeded the coat of 2 bottles of beer. When the Clerk said something about beer in my pocket I took the beer out while she wasn't looking and was leaving them. She called the police and they wrote me ticket for shoplifting. What are my options
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 months ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to helpI am sorry for this dilemma. You have, basically, 2 options. You can enter a plea of guilty or not guilty. What you are describing ? Sounds like they have clear evidence of theft. Under the law, if you put the beer in your pocket with the intent to not pay for it? Even if you never made it out of the store? That is theft. The fact you intended to "ring up other items to pay for it"? Technically that would be a defense...if the jury believed you. But, frankly, it is unlikely anyone would believe this. Mostly since it makes no sense.
That is, the average person would not do does not make any sense. Not that I am questioning your may have had this intent. But I am telling you that trying to convince a jury of this may be tough to do.
NOw...if you are willing to plea guilty I would expect the prosecutor to give you a plea deal to avoid jail time...and perhaps even keep this off your record. Consider hiring a local attorney to help you negotiate a deal with the prosecutor.
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.Please rate the answer so I may receive credit
Thanks for your understanding