Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law

My granson age 14 have an case again m an9mm gun with 14

Customer Question

My granson age 14 have an case again him for having an9mm gun with 14 clip.what time is he looking at? First time in trouble with the law.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 7 months ago.

Hello. I will help you with your questions. I need to know what state he was arrested in? Each state has its different gun laws.

Also, how and where did the police find him with the gun?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We live in Detroit,Mi. I think it was on him. His mother said the policeman caught him with a gun.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They give him a $5,000.00 bond.

The crime your grandson was arrested for is a Felony Firearm possession. If he has no prior criminal convictions and he is tried as an adult and convicted of this crime, he faces a minimum of 2 years in prison and a maximum of 5 years and a fine up to $2500.

Also, because it is a serious crime, your grandson can be charged as an adult. The district attorney would have to ask the court to charge him as an adult and there would have to be a hearing where the court decides this. The judge will look at several things in deciding to charge him as an adult, including:

· Seriousness of the crime

· Your grandson’s record – if he has been in trouble before

· Prior court programs your grandson was in and if he cooperated with them

· Your grandson’s involvement in this crime – if he had a loaded gun and was carrying it on his person then he was fully involved

Please let me know if you have more questions. I will be happy to help you more. If you are satisfied with my help, I ask that you rate my service. Contact me again if you need me.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He never been in trouble before.

That is good news. The court will take this into account. The fact this was a loaded and concealed firearm makes this a serious crime. Have you spoken to his lawyer and asked if he is going to be charged as an adult?