RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

A possession charge of a controlled substance, He was

Customer Question

A possession charge of a controlled substance
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He was charged with pot in his vehicle and I need a character letter for the court.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Writing Tutors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

Lawyers on this site cannot write such a letter for you, because that could be seen as giving legal advice, which would violate state bar regulations, as this site exists for legal information purposes. More importantly however, since you know the defendant best, ***** ***** should be written by you. You know the type of person they are, and the impact this would have on them.

Here is a good sample letter for a drug charge (click the hyperlink). A character reference follows this general format:

Honorable Judge ____________

Court Address

Dear Judge ___________,

Name of the person for whom the character letter is being written

(I am writing this letter on behalf of ***** *****, whom I understand is pleading guilty to the charge of possession).

First Paragraph: In this paragraph, you must mention who you are, and how you know the person charged. Also mention the period for how long you have known the person.

(My name is ***** ***** I am a close friend of Tom. We grew up together in the same neighborhood and went to school together, from elementary through high school. I've known him for over twenty years).

Second Paragraph: The second paragraph is the most important paragraph. This is because, it is in this paragraph, that you will delve into the matter of why you think the person who is charged with the offense, should be shown mercy. Whatever positive character traits you will be highlighting, remember that you should be able to justify them with suitable incidents. Mention an incident which you think may help your friend/family member.

Third Paragraph: In this paragraph, you can mention if you have noticed that your friend/family is indeed feeling remorse for his actions, and that he is willing to compensate for the damage caused by him. Once again, assure the judge of the sound character of the person, and thank the judge for taking the time to read the letter.

(Tom has expressed to me and others how sorry he is for getting involved with drugs and I can see that this is eating him up inside. He's had trouble sleeping, and is concerned for the impact this is going to have on his family and children. Since his arrest, Tom has joined narcotics anonymous and is working with a drug counselor to end his addiction so that this never happens again...)

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Your Signature
Your Name
Your Address
Your Contact Details

If you need clarification or additional information please reply, and I'm happy to assist you further. Thank you.

If you need clarification or additional information, please reply, and I'll be happy to assist you. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave me a positive rating (3-5 stars) as that is the only way experts on this site are compensated for our time and expertise, even if you have previously left a deposit. Thank you.