Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Over A Decade Of Criminal Law Experience
12711280

My daughter was cited in Maui in public and under age

Customer Question

my daughter was cited in Maui for drinking in public and under age drinking. she lives in california. does she have to make the appearance?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 8 months ago.

In short, no. However, she does need to have an attorney represent her at the hearing and be ready to pay the fine for this offense on her behalf. If she is over the age of 18, she will need to have a power of attorney signed (she can have it emailed to her, sign it, have it notarized, scan and email back - mail the original).

So, while she does need to have an attorney be there in her absence, she does not have to be there in person. If you guys just want to pay the fine, then you should contact the court clerk. Some judges will allow the person cited to pay the fine and avoid going to court. Other judges want to make a larger deal out of this and require some form of court appearance (even if it means an attorney in her place).

As such, contact the court clerk in the court in which this issue is on file and see if you guys can just pay the fine and be done with it. That would alleviate the necessity for an attorney altogether as well.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (Three or More Stars) so I can receive credit for my response - I will receive no credit otherwise.

Best wishes going forward!

Just checking in this morning to see if you had any other questions or comments. I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward on this issue. Thanks