Legal-Kal
Legal-Kal, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at Law Offices of Khaled Issa
90630425

I was given a Temporary Injuction against dating violence by

Customer Question

I was given a Temporary Injuction for protection against dating violence by the sheriff.
There is a court date on it asking me to attend a hearing in court.
I don't know what will happen in court and don't know if I have to go.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon:

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question. I am sorry to hear of the situation you are in as a result of this order.

Now, what occurs during these hearings is that the petitioner (the person seeking the injunction) testifies as to what actions you committed that lead that person to believe that they are a victim of "domestic violence." The petitioner has to show the court that they are in a position of being placed in immediate harm from you by your prior actions or statements.

After the petitioner testifies, the respondent (the person who was served with the injunction) gets to present evidence that contradict the petitioner's allegations. The respondent tries to show that the petitioner is untruthful in their allegations and/or that whatever actions or conduct occurred does not rise to the level of abuse and does not create an immediate harm to the petitioner.

Do you have any questions on what I have provided thus far before I move onto your second question?