Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I lived in Anchorage going on 4 years and I've been charged

Customer Question

Hi, I lived in Anchorage going on 4 years and I've been charged with assault alcohol related and the victim might not file charges it seems but my municipality is, I believe,will I need to hire a lawyer to keep my job due to jail time or can I just appear.
Will there be a public defender if I don't hire a private lawyer?
I have no prior convictions.
But I have had a DV related destruction of property charge dismissed
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.

Public defenders are only available to indigent defendants. Generally, you must be at or below poverty level to qualify for one. If you have a good job, assets, and credit available to you, you will be told to hire private counsel. Every jurisdiction is a bit different as to eligibility rules. You can call the public defender office and see if you would qualify. If you do, however, you won't be assigned one until your arraignment.