Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I have been married since June 15, 2001, my husband and I

Customer Question

Good Morning, I have been married since June 15, 2001, my husband and I separated in October 2003. We have not file for a legal separation, nor have we applied for a divorce. I have recently learn that her has remarried someone else as of August 2014. Is this legal
JA: The Criminal Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Criminal Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Well, we have no children together, however I do have my own land, home and retirement. How could this affect me.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

No, the second marriage would not be legal if the first marriage (between the two of you) is still intact. Instead, it would be a void marriage based on bigamy.

Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.

The action shouldn't have much of an affect on you.....other than to cause confusion regarding your marital status.

It may be good grounds to file for divorce and would likely be leverage when you deal with support and property division issues.

Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.

The main thing to keep in mind is that you haven't done anything wrong.....so whatever comes of this shouldn't be adverse to you.

Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!