Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I went to court today in front of a DA case of identity.

Customer Question

Hi i went to court today in front of a DA for a case of identity. Theft the person who of accussed me of it went to court as well to drop the charges against me. My question they dismiss my case and i have to do 15 hours of community service. Does that mean it will not be in my record. Is it clear of my record if the case was dismissed
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.

No. The arrest and the dismissal will show on your criminal history unless you take steps to get the dismissal expunged or petition the judge to seal it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok i never got arrested. So this will harm me with. Applying in jobs ect. My other question the person who accused. Me she dropped charges. Because. Her story was a lie. I though that tgey will erase it from my record what should i do to get out of my record
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.

You had to appear in court. The citation or summons you received would have the force and effect of an arrest. You also received a sentence of community service, so you probably were given a diversion disposition (CWOF). Did you go before a judge or just a the DA?

If you never saw the judge it would NOT appear on your record.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well i went before a judge. And they said case was dismissed that i only had to do 15 hour of comunity service and i was done. The supposedly. Victim dhe talked to the DA and told them she didnt want to continue with this situation that she wanted the charges. To be dropped. So they decided to dismissal. The case but they didnt explain what that ment this is my first time in court a never been in court fir nothing
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.

If you went before a judge and were arraigned and then the case was dismissed it would show on your record as I indicated before. You could get this expunged from your record if you get the judge to order the matter sealed.

This is not a conviction. It's a dismissal, so you don't have any convictions on your record. In that way, it shouldn't be a deal breaker when you're looking for a job. Still, it's best to talk to a local lawyer and have him try to get it sealed for you.