Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
26798026

I am getting death threats from someone on twitter. He says

Customer Question

I am getting death threats from someone on twitter. He says I am easy to find and would kill me in a heart beat. He has now threatened me 3 separate times. He is an anti abortion nut. He asked since I support abortion rights can he kill me. I said no but if he is threatening me in his in trouble. He then responded with I will kill you in a heart beat. I thought he was full of it and told him
He was getting himself in deeper. Later tonight he said I was easy to find. I know I am, I have a public profile. I am a college instructor and my classes are listed online - times and locations where I teach - I am easily found - I read that Twitter ignores these things. But I want the police to contact him. If I could sue him I would.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

There's a cause of action for intentional infliction of emotional distress, which means behaving in an "extreme and outrageous manner," of a sort that is "intolerable in a civilized society," that serves no legitimate purpose and that is done solely to inflict emotional distress on someone else. There is NO LEGITIMATE REASON for sending death threats. Evidence that you've been damaged by this person's behavior could involve testimony about anxiety, insomnia, depression - whatever you're feeling. If you've spoken with a mental heath professional, you'll be able to seek reimbursement for your medical bills and out-of-pocket expenses in addition to punitive damages. The judge can impose whatever amount of money he or she thinks is appropriate to stop this person from engaging in death threats in the future, and that money goes to you.

Because he is targeting you in California, you can sue in California even if he lives in another state.

Also, what you're talking about is stalking. If this person is in California, contact your local police. You may also be able to get a no-contact order against him. If you're not sure where he is, or he's in another state, contact the Internet Crime Complaint Center and ask them to investigate. You can also block that person from seeing your public profiles, and report him to Twitter and other sites to see if you can get his IP address banned.

http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.