Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

My name is ***** ***** and my issue is regarding the Statute

Customer Question

Hi, my name is ***** ***** and my issue is regarding the Statute of Limitations regarding statutory rape in california
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I know that in general the statute of limitations is three years, based off the conversation I just read in this thread. However, the two parties involved had a child after the incident I know there is a DNA clause, how does that affect things? There is no case nor is there one being pursued Also, it has been over three years
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Criminal Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.

The present statute of limitations for statutory rape in California is 6 years. The DNA exception rule alows for a prosecution within 10 years of the offense or within one year of the date on which the DNA evidence conclusively identifies the perpetrator of the statutory rape. You can read about this here in PC 803