RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I paid bond to get someone out of jail I told the bail bond

Customer Question

I paid bond to get someone out of jail I told the bail bond I didn't want to pay for him I told the bail bond I wasn't convinced he was worth the risk but he convinced me I was doing the right thing
JA: My brothers got into lots of trouble with the law when they were young. The Criminal Lawyer will know how to get you the best outcome. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no, I want to revoke my bail money and I don't think I can trust him what do I do?
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Criminal Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: He was arrested for Drug possession with intent to distribute, law inforcement wants to use him to catch the bigger fish or go to jail
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

The answer will depend upon the language used in the surety agreement you signed with the bondsman. If it contains language that allows you to notify the bondsman that you no longer wish your collateral to be at risk, then yes, you can request a refund. Note that any fees paid likely wouldn't be refunded.

Also, I will say it is unlikely the agreement allows for this. As you may know, the bond is really a percentage of the full bail that a defendant must pay to get out. You pay a portion of that amount when you pay the bondsman. For example, if a defendant has a $10,000 bail, you may pay $1,000, and the bondsman pays the sheriff the rest. The bondsman assumes the responsibilities of paperwork, liability, bond forfeiture and re-arrest. The bond is held until the resolution of the case, and the bondsman assumes the risk that if the defendant skips out on court, they lose out on all of the money they put up. Hence, typically the amount you pay includes a non-refundable fee for the bondsman's time and their risk. Since they are assuming most of the risk, however, usually a person cannot cancel.

My suggestion would be to read the bond agreement you signed first. If there is no right to cancel your bond, but the defendant starts taking actions that make you uncomfortable (for example, they change their phone number, suddenly move, miss a court date), I would definitely talk to the bondsman at that point about pulling the bond. Chances are, if the defendant takes steps like that or misses court, they may look to protect their investment anyway and withdraw the bond on their own.

If you have no further follow-up questions regarding this matter, kindly remember to leave me a positive rating (3-5 stars/happy faces) as that is the only way experts on this site are paid for their time and expertise, even if you placed a deposit. If you do have follow-up questions, please reply, and I'll be more then happy to assist you until satisfied.

Thank you!

If you need clarification or additional information, please reply, and I'll be happy to assist you further. Otherwise, please remember to leave me a positive rating (3-5 stars) prior to signing out, as that is the only way experts on this site are compensated for our time and expertise, even if you have already paid a deposit to the site. Thank you.