CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

What is the Statute of Limitations Theft, Embezzlement,

Customer Question

What is the Statute of Limitations for Estate Theft, Embezzlement, Conspiracy to commit theft, Forgery, and fraud collectively?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern.Under Illinois Code Section 720 ILCS 5/3-5; 5/3-7 , it would be as follows and if it is a felony or misdemeanor.

For forgery, there is no statute of limitations (SOL). The party can be charged at any time. For other felonies, it would be 3 yrs. However, there are times when this is even extended. Extended limitations when: victim of theft a minor or under legal disability, then during minority or legal disability or within 1 yr. of termination; misconduct in public office: within 1 yr. of discovery, max 3 yr. extension;

Misdemeanors 18 mos.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!