Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I am asking if charges can be made against an ex-wife who

Customer Question

I am asking if charges can be made against an ex-wife who hacked her ex-husband gmail.she got in changed his password
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: she also changed the contact number to her phone and not his
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Criminal Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, if they made unauthorized access to your email account and changed the password, this is a state as well as a federal criminal offense. It is solely at the discretion of either the district attorney in your city/state or the US Attorney's office as to whether they will agree to actually file charges. However, even if they do not file charges, you have grounds for a civil suit against her as well for invasion of privacy and you can seek damages, including punitive damages, for her unauthorized access to your email account.