Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in criminal law, BA in criminal justice
20355756

My sister stole my identity. She got traffic tickets and

Customer Question

My sister stole my identity. She got traffic tickets and warrents in my name. Lied to A Police Officer. Bailed herself out with my stolen money. I went to all courts to prove my identity and won all cases. But noone had given me police reports, noone did anything to the criminal. Didn't give me back the bail money she stole from me to bail out.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --

-

Did you go to your local police department and report the identity theft and name your sister as a suspect? Or was she identified in the court cases as the perpetrator and the cases were dismissed against you? You see, in order to actually have her charged with a crime, a criminal complaint for identity theft must be brought against her by you or by someone else who was affected by her crime spree, You also had to ask the court to pay out any bail money directly to you instead of to her directly (the bail dept will pay the bail back to the person who put up the bail in the first place -- here, if your sister paid it directly then the bail dept must return it to her and not to you unless the judge orders otherwise).

-

So at this point, you should contact your local police department to make a complaint regarding the identity theft and you can determine if the bail that was posted has been distributed back to her or not. Your sister might make a protest, but so long as you can show that the money was yours, you should have no problems convincing the judge to release it only to you;

-

Please let me know if you have further questions on this matter. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the rating section so I will be paid for my time assisting you. I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating before leaving the website (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are positive ratings). Pressing a positive rating will not cost you any additional money -- it is simply the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH

-

MARY

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Thank You I have done all of the following. Except the bail money given back to me. But Noone has taken action against her. They actually had her in jail for check fraud, and she has a dozen warrents for her arrest, but she somehow bailed out again.
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there -

-

If you have gone to the police with all of the information and it seems like the police have taken information from you and completed reports on the matter then you have done what you are required to do under the law to start an investigation and your sister has not been investigated at all for these matters, then I suggest that you contact the Internal Affairs Department of the police officers and police stations where the reports were given to the officers. The officers will respond to an inquiry from their own internal affairs department (the internal affairs department will decide whether to investigate and reprimand the officers involved in failing to follow up on your complaint of identity theft).

-

If, for some reason, you are not permitted to file a complaint with internal affairs and no one is investigating these matters then my next suggestion is that you take your complaint to the state police and/or the Attorney General's office in the state of NJ (the AG is the chief law enforcement officer in the state and while we only really hear about the duties of each Attorney General in each state as consumer advocates, the legal truth of the matter is that every AG in every state is the office that enforces laws against the police department -- basically the AG can hold the local poiice accountable for all acts that they do. So, I suggest that you pursue these matters through the police internal affairs department and then, if not successful, you should proceed to the Office of the Attorney General and file a written complaint against the officers and department that have refused to assist you so far.

- Here is a link to the Attorney General of NJ website where you can find more information and complaint forms.

http://www.nj.gov/oag/ To contact internal affairs department in any police or Sheriff's department you should contact the main business line (not emergency) and ask for the telephone number for Internal Affairs and the operator will connect you to them.

-

MARY

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it normal that The court houses and police stations aren't giving me the any paperwork on my innocence or Police reports, so I can get my license back
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello again -

-

Unless the police report was the matter that YOU reported (the identity theft and the fact that the perpetrator is your sister), then the police and courts will not give you copies of paperwork because it has to do with other people (victims)). Once you do file an actual complaint then a report will be generated and that should be sufficient to restore your own identity with the DMV and others. You should also ask the police or court what the procedure is to get a copy of your own criminal record to show that you were not involved in any of the activities in question. Once you are able to get the report filed, either internal affairs or the other law enforcement agencies that I directed you to will most likely give you some assistance in restoring your identity and life.

-

-

MARY