Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I was arrested $60.00 worth of items from Walmart. I am very

Customer Question

I was arrested for shoplifting $60.00 worth of items from Walmart . I am very upset and remorseful . This was a first incident . I have a professional license and am worried .Please advise.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

In New Jersey a shoplifting offense under $200 is a disorderly person's offense, meaning under NJ's law though it is a criminal offense it is considered something less than a crime. Still it goes to dishonesty and lack of character, so you really don't want this conviction on your record if you can avoid it.

Therefore, you should hire a lawyer as soon as possible. It's possible he or she can talk to the prosecutor and see if the state will agree to reduce this to a civil infraction. Alternatively, on a first offense you'd be eligible for and could likely get into New Jersey's pre-trial intervention program. This is where you agree to a period of supervision during which you have to pay some fines, do some community service, take an anti-shoplifting class and stay out of further trouble with the law. Complete everything successfully and the case will be dismissed so that you will have no criminal conviction.