P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
11181181

My grandson starting communicating with and seeing a girl

Customer Question

My grandson starting communicating with and seeing a girl January 2015 who he thought was 15 (but she was 13) he was 17. He turned 18 in June 2015 and continued seeing and having a relationship with this girl. At the nd of July her mother called and told my grandson that she was 13 and that she did not want him to se her daughter and he immediately stopped. In October the DA contacted my grandson and said they were arresting I'm for corruption of the morals of a minor, and sexual assault. Since this relationship started when they both were minors would they be able to charge him for this and what do you suggest? He currently has a public defender who wants him to plead guilty to charges of corruption of the morals of a minor. We live in PA
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Are you asking if PA law allows the state to prosecute this if they were both minors initially but the relationship continued when he became an adult?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what do you suggest I am worried about my grandson having a public defender versus and attorney representing him

Thank you
First, and foremost, the fact the relationship stated with them both being minors is not legally significant.

In other words, it does not matter. It will not serve as a defense. If he had sexual contact with this minor while he was an adult? He could be prosecuted for that, even though he engaged in the same activity as a minor.

As for his attorney...I have seen plenty of great attorneys serving as public defenders. Generally speaking they job gives them a great deal of experience quickly. So I would not be worried about the fact they are a free lawyer.

Now..if you can afford to hire an attorney? FOr a serious charge such a sex with a minor?? Yes...I would hire the best lawyer I could if it was my child.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.