Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I was arrested dv charge. Went to court and was ordered to

Customer Question

I was arrested for a dv charge. Went to court and was ordered to take dv classes and the case would be dismissed. I started the classes but missed too many days so I was terminated from the program. I go back to court tomorrow and haven't finished the court order to complete the classes. What are my odds of getting an extension to start over and complete the classes?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.

In my ex0erience, if you can give a decent reason for not completing the program, a judge will give you an extension this one time. It is not likely to happen twice though, so make sure to assure the court that you will be able to complete it this time.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.

If you have a lawyer, he should make the argument for you.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 9 months ago.

Your worst case scenario is that you will lose the opportunity to get this matter dismissed and the case will reopen where you'd have to negotiate a new deal.