How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 25364
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A t and run i was not driving, met someone at bar do not

Customer Question

a hit and run i was not driving, met someone at bar do not know his full name only "d" he was driving police are holding car until i give them a name
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: just that he was driving i was charged with public intoxication he hit a parked vehicle and kept driving and fled, police impounded my car until i give them a name. I have no idea. They are threatening to charge me with the hit and run and i am concerned if they charge me they will also charge me for dui although i was not driving
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Criminal Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

When you say he fled, you mean he got out of the car and left you? Also, he was a random person you met and you allowed him to drive your car? Where was he taking you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were going to my house yes he left me. Poor decision I know
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information. You may want to go back to the Bar and see if anyone knew who this guy was. If they do not, then you can only provide a description of him to the police and stand behind your story, that he was driving, hit the car and fled. It would then be up to the police to decide how to proceed and if they can not place you behind the wheel of the vehicle, as the driver, they could not charge you for a hit and run. The same goes for a DUI charge and if they did not conduct a DUI investigation, they would have no real basis to proceed with that either. If they refuse to release the car, then they would need to charge you and it would be at that time, you would need to obtain a court order from the Judge, for its release. They are likely holding it, since it is evidence but once they see your story will remain the same, they may release it and/or charge you and then you would need to get it released by the Judge. I know it is not an ideal situation but unless you can provide them with some information to help catch this guy, they are going to be difficult to deal with right now.

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please remove me from this service
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

Certainly. You can contact customer service and they can help. Thank you again.

Related Criminal Law Questions