P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
11181181

I was evicted because of an argument I had with another

Customer Question

I was evicted because of an argument I had with another tenant. She called the police and lied to them out of spite. The police arrested me, unjustly, and now the whole thing has been legally dismissed and expunged. However, I want to use the apartment as a reference and I don't want them to say that they evcted me or that I got arrested. This is because anyone can easily look up and find out that I lived there through public records. There is even a record saying they tried to evict me but it was dismissed. When they evicted me I left the next day.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is there a way to legally make the apartent give me a good reference.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was unfairly evicted, and having this on my record makes it impossible to rent another apartment

Thanks

There is no law you can use to force them to say anything in particular. Sorry...the law simply does not work that way

HOWEVER, IF they lie about you? You could sue them for defamation.

Defamation is defined as a false statement of fact that harms the victim...so if they lie about you and that prevents you from getting a new place ? You could hire a lawyer and sue them for defamation

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Follow up.