Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I was arrested back in 2009 and when i was out on PR bond i

Customer Question

i was arrested back in 2009 and when i was out on PR bond i was told by immigration to voluntarily sign a document which would have me deported, and if i didn't i would go back to jail. I had signed and been in Mexico since. now i'm trying to get a visa and go back to the states 7 years later i find that i have a warrant for my arrest. now im being told if i get the visa and try to go into the US that i will be arrested immediately and thrown back in jail. i was just wondering on how i canm get all this put behind me so i can go back to the states and work.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Even with a voluntary deportation, they can stop you from reentry for up to 10 years. However, if there was a plea agreement where you agreed to deportation and charges were dismissed then your attorney needs to go to court with the agreement you signed and ask the court to vacate the warrant, since you made a plea agreement to leave the country. Even once the warrant is vacated, immigration can still seek to deny you admission based on the prior case.