Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
81266493

I am trying to find out if a bond of $20,000 dollars is gh

Customer Question

I am trying to find out if a bond of $20,000 dollars is high for a burglary charge in Bossier Parish LA. My nephew is only 17 andhas been put in Bossier Max. Does anyone know of a good public defender in Bossier City or surrounding area. I'm in Cincinnati and can't find out any information.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 9 months ago.

My name is***** been an attorney for 26 years. I will help you with your questions.

Here is the contact information for the public defender in the Parish of Bossier:

District Defender/Supervisor:
****** *. Smart
211 **** *********
******, ** /*****
(***)***-****

You asked for a "good public defender." The public defender is assigned by the court if a defendant cannot pay for his defense. A defendant cannot chose which public defender will represent him. Public defenders are experienced criminal attorneys. Your nephew is charged with a felony and will be assigned with an attorney who has experience with felony cases.

If your nephew is not considered indigent, he will have to hire an attorney who is not a public defender. The best place look for an experienced private criminal attorney is the Louisiana State Bar Association. They have a Lawyer Referral Program. Here is the number for the Baton Rouge area:(###) ###-#### ***** can ask for several names and interview the lawyers to make sure they have the experience you want. When interviewing them, ask about the number of years they have done Criminal cases. Ask how many felony trials they have done and if they have experience with burglary cases. Ask how many felony trials they have won. Make sure to speak with several lawyers and pick the one you are comfortable with.

Burglary is a serious crime and $20,000 would be a standard bail. If your nephew had a weapon with him during the burglary or committed a battery on someone while committing a burglary he could face from 1 to 30 years in prison.

If you have more questions, I will be here to help you. If you are satisfied with my assistance, I ask that you rate my service.