Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law
12176198

I just saw in a ile of mail that I have a bench warrant out

Customer Question

I just saw in a ile of mail that I have a bench warrant out for a speeding ticket I didn't pay. Will I be arrested?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 10 months ago.

Hello.

If a bench warrant has been issued, then you could basically be arrested at any time. The police, unless they are not very busy, do not really have a tendency to hunt down people on traffic warrants, however. People usually get picked up on those kind of warrants through other contact with the police (ie you get pulled over and they run a warrant check). I would suggest calling the clerk's office of the court where the warrant was issued to see if you can pay the ticket to get the warrant withdrawn. If not, you will need to file a Motion to Quash Warrant essentially explaining to the court why you missed it and asking the judge to reset it for another date. The judge may then agree to set aside the warrant and give you a new court date so you don't have to worry about being arrested on the warrant.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Very helpful

Glad I could help you out. Please leave positive feedback so I get credit for my answers. Good luck, and I hope that you are able to work this out.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have another question. I am supose to travel in & out of Canada tomorrow. Can I cross the boarder and come back into the states with out any probelms?

Unfortunately I had signed off for the evening by the time you responded and so I just now got your additional question. I see one of my colleagues answered for you, so I hope that helped you with your issue.