Legal-Kal
Legal-Kal, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at Law Offices of Khaled Issa
90630425

I ordered 200 spice and coffee grinders from a supplier in

Customer Question

I ordered 200 spice and coffee grinders from a supplier in China at the value of $1000. Shipping has been delayed so i give a call to confirm where abouts to fed ex. They inform me that the package looked to be stopped at customs and give me a number to call. As i do not yet have a case number ***** customs informed me that these grinders are prohibited due to being "drug paraphernalia" and they were most likely seized. As much as I find this ridiculous , I wasnt born yesterday and know these could be used for illegal activities but were not my intentions. He tells me when I get my official letter there will be an option to contest this. My question is this even worth fighting for or should I just take my loss as to not fave anymore ridiculous fines.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 10 months ago.

Good evening:

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question.

Now, as you are aware, U.S. Customs often seize certain packages when there is even just an inkling the item can be used for illicit purposes. This is especially true for items coming from China. Generally, a Notice of Seizure is sent to the recipient, which provides details on how to "appeal" the seizure.

Now, do you happen to know if the item you purchased was a "counterfeit" item? (i.e., instead of Nike it was Mike, bad example, but it gets the point across).

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not a counterfeit at all, not even a brand name, simply a hand grinder sold as a coffee grinder.

Thank you for that information.

So, essentially you would be on the ballot in your estimate of the situation. You will have the process to " appeal" the seizure, which will include an exhaustive explanation of the item, your intended use of it and the sellers information (should you have it).

Essentially, in these cases, the simplest course of action is just to "disclaim" the item (I.e., not challenge the seizure) and either requesta refund from the seller (which shouldn't be an issue as Chinese sellersk now that this is a common occurrence) or show proof of the seizure to the seller to have them ship a replacement (and hope it does not get seized again).

If the item is not very expensive, it would be best to proceed in one of the above instead of challenging the seizure.

I hope this has helped. Please let me know if you have any follow ups on what I have provided.

If not, please remember to click ACCEPT and rate my assistance as that is the only way experts can obtain creditf or assisting customers here. Thank you!

Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 9 months ago.

I see you have read my response. Friendly reminder, if you have no follow up questions, please remember to click ACCEPT and rate my assistance as that is the only way experts can be credited for assisting individuals here. Your cooperation would be greatly appreciated.