Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I have a freind she at the end of her parole started using

Customer Question

hello i have a freind she at the end of her parole started using and she realizes she needs help wa tring to get into a few places but wasnt happening and her parole officer deoesnt like her and is threatening to violate her and will not help her to get into a rehab . my question is that i heard that she has to violate for the courts to assist her into a rehab ? but that doesnt seem right ?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, we hear from everyone on parole how their parole officer hates them or is out to get them, but that really is not the truth. The truth is parole officers are not paid to be nice to people on parole and are not social workers. The parole officer's only job is to make sure their defendants follow the rules of parole (or probation whatever the case may be). These parole officers do not deviate from the parole rules and when parolees are hounded by the PO they believe it is because the PO is out to get them or dislikes them, but in reality it is just the PO exercising their job duties and not giving anyone any break, which they do not have to do.
In order to get help through the courts, yes, she has to violate with a bad drug test or some other reason for the court to order rehab. However, there are other organizations out there, many are religious organizations and also community groups where she lives and also social services who can all assist her in getting into a rehab program if she is serious. Getting violated to get the court to order rehab is not the solution because many of the court rehab programs are inadequate and are just money making mills to get people in and out and they do not really help most of them.
She would do much better going to the local community organizations, religious organizations and even social services for help rather than getting violated.