Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

What time do officers pick you up if you have a warrant?

Customer Question

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 10 months ago.

There's no answer to that except "whenever they want." Sometimes, particularly on low level or non-violent offenses, they don't pick you up at all. Instead, they wait until you do something else wrong, like get a speeding ticket for example. Then the warrant turns up when the police officer checks your license, and you're taken in.

In short, if you know that there's a warrant out there against you, you either have to return on the warrant and address your case or get used to living while looking over your shoulder. Because you never know when you might get found out.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Question if there is a warrant how do I stop a warrant?

What sort of warrant do you think you might have?

If it's a bench warrant for your failure to appear on a criminal case, you vacate the warrant by returning to court before the judge who issued the warrant and then dealing with your case. If it's an arrest warrant because you're wanted for an offense that has not yet been filed with a court, you'd have to turn yourself in to the police.

Either way, it's not safe to do without a lawyer, as you can end up in jail having to make bail.

.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's for unpaid child support
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This the paper I received for my spouse

The document is very clear. The way to get rid of this warrant is to pay the $2,300. Otherwise, you can expect to be picked up at any time for this.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The problem is I requested a modification twice for this he made about 15k last year and was fighting custody of his first two sons which he was awarded custody and fell behind because the lawyers and guardian. I have still yet to receive a hearing from the modification motion I requested.

That's a separate question best addressed as a separate question to one of our lawyers in the Family Court category because that's a family court matter. A warrant for unpaid child support is a criminal law matter. This question dealt only with when/how you could be arrested on a warrant.