Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I have a friend who has gotten in trouble the wrong

Customer Question

I have a friend who has gotten in trouble for writing the wrong information on social service records. They are talking about possibly charging her but first she must get her husband past employees to file out pay verification form. Should she tell him to get the forms filled out? What should she do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What information is she accused of providing that was false?

Another important question, will the employer pay verification help prove she did nothing wrong or it was a mistake?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well, at the moment, their are no legal charges but can be bought on. She's accused of not letting social service know she was married, therefore they never factored I'm her husband pay. So she says she now has to get that information filled out so they can look into it further. She did tell them in her last interview that she was married involuntarily.As far as your last question, I'm not sure because she does t really known the verification. She has no job, but between them, they have 4 kids and a lot of bills so they may qualify.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
As far as her receiving food stamps, and Medicare for kids

Thank you for your reply.

If she was married and living with her husband, then he has to cooperate with them or they will get subpoenas for those records and they will get them anyhow. She needs to have him cooperate and she needs to work on proving that as it was an involuntary marriage they did not live as husband and wife and were "estranged" not living together, which would be her only real chance. In most all of these cases, legally all the SS wants is their money back, so if she is found to owe, they will first try to make her repay and if she does not they will then pursue criminal charges.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The marriage isn't involuntarily but she told them she was married basically after they found out. I will let her know to cooperate. Having said all that, does she need to just say that they didn't leave together? From my understanding, the kids went to school where he lives but her residency is in amother city. She said that she told them information that they wanted to her like she was living with him but she said she did that because she was scared.

Thank you for your reply.

At this point, she needs to tell him to cooperate and she needs to begin working on getting money together to offer a payment as a settlement to them.