Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My name is ***** ***** Ahadi and my issue is I am trying to

Customer Question

my name is ***** ***** Ahadi and my issue is I am trying to get a job at a medical facility as a medical assistant and i have a criminal record they offered me the position after interviewing, testing and assessments, and paperwork, drug test, and tb test now they are waiting on the backround check to clear i have 2 misdemeanors on my record, one for possession of tool with intent, and the other for pety theft I am afraid I will not be able to get the job because of my criminal record. what can i do?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: sure the pety theft was from 2011, i had an ex bf who was not a good guy which i found out later on in the relationship. i went to a store with him, michaels, and i bought some things, he had stuck an item in my basket of which i was unaware, and i walked out and was stopped and arrested for pety theft i was charged and convicted and i broke up with him afterwards of course, but the charge is still on my record. Ive paid all my fines for it, and my probation of 3 years is over for this charge the possession of tools with intent charge is from 2014. I was pulled over with my 1 and half year old son and his father after getting something to eat at a local restaurant where we always eat at and is five mins away from my home. it was 7pm in the evening, and after pulling out of the parking lot after eating dinner, we got stopped by some unmarked car who were some type of officers, smash i guess, and they took me and my sons father out of the car, searched the whole car, couldnt find anything illegal, and they were about to let us go, when they pulled out a flashlight and a screwdriver out of my car, and asked why i had a screw driver in my car that wasnt in a tool box. I told them i didnt know it was illegal to have a screwdriver. they told me that there had been some break ins in the parking lot at a 24 hour fitness which was in that parking lot some previous nights ago. I told them I lived in the area, and just came from the restaurant which was in the same parking lot and we had dinner, and I dont know about any break ins. They told me that the flash light and the screw driver together could be considered burglary tools, they then decided to arrest me and my sons father, and take us both to jail and charge us with possession of tools with intent. It was totally ridiculous, and I have never broken into any cars, or would ever do anything like that. I was charged with it and convicted and have paid off all my fines for it and everything. I recently last month went back to court to try and get the charge dismissed and early probation termination, and explained to the judge that I have been unable to gain employment due to this being on my record , she talked to the DA, and then made the decision to deny my request for dismissal of the charge, she told me to come back in 6 months when my probation period is over for the charge. I dont have 6 more months to wait to be able to get a job. I have a 2 and half year old son who depends on me solely, and I need to provide for him and am unable to do so because my profession is a medical assistant, and everywhere that a medical assistant can work does a backround check. I have landed over 5 jobs recently, which after offering me a position, and getting to the hiring paperwork part, do the backround check and then take back there offer of employment
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 10 months ago.

In which US state are you?

Did you disclose these convictions when you applied for your state license? Did you disclose them in your application for the job for which yo