Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

What is the statute of limitations on an harassment case

Customer Question

What is the statute of limitations on an harassment case when someone pleads guilty
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 10 months ago.

I'm not sure what you are actually asking.

Statutes of limitations define how old a case can get before it is considered too old to be filed with the court. The case you are referring to has not only been filed, but it is over. So there is no statute of limitations issue. Statutes of limitation no longer apply in this situation.

What is it that you actually want to know? Are you trying to figure out how long the protective order will be in effect now that the case is over? That's at the discretion of the judge, but usually it's for a year. As you are the complainant, you can call the DA who was in charge of the case and he or she can tell you how long the order was extended for.

If that's not what you wanted to know, please reply to this question thread and let me know what I can help you with.