Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

My mother in law and exwife went to police dept. at seperate

Customer Question

My mother in law and exwife went to police dept. at seperate times and told them I was calling and texting them so much they felt scared and harassed. The reason they did this is because they wanted me to get arrested at an up comming custody hearing I was scheduled for. They had no evidence just a story. Wat can I do to get this cleared up
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 10 months ago.

In what US state did this occur? Have you been charged yet with a crime?

Unfortunately, once a matter has been reported to the police, the police turn the information over to the prosecutor's office. It ceases to become the complainant's case. It is the DAs, to do with whatever he or she wants. Even if the complainants claim they lied and want to drop charges, the prosecutor does not have to believe that and is free to go forward with the case whether the complainants wish it or not. Although the DA will have a hard time winning his case if his two chief witnesses are going to take the stand and admit they lied about the incident, the DA has the right to try to prosecute anyway.

I'm assuming that the police did not allow your ex and her mother to drop charges. If so, you will have a criminal court case you're going to have to deal with. You should retain a lawyer for this matter, especially because what happens in criminal court can affect your coming civil hearing and vice versa. Make sure and tell your lawyer that the complainants called the police and both tried to drop the charges. He can verify that with the complainants and bring this to the attention of the judge, if the DA is not inclined to dismiss charges. Generally, when the complainants are trying to drop and the defense lawyer is trying to help them drop, something highly favorable to the defendant can be worked out.