Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law
12176198

I have a court date at Walmart I should do please I'm

Customer Question

I have a court date for shoplifting at Walmart I should do please I'm desperate and mostly very contrite
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Fortunately, shoplifting is a very minor charge. The penalty depends on the amount stolen (or the amount attempted to steal). If it was under $50, it is a Class C misdemeanor carrying a penalty of a fine up to $500. $50 to $500 is a Class B misdemeanor, carrying up to 180 days in jail and/or a fine up to $2000. Generally, it is a good idea to get the assistance of a lawyer, particularly if the offense you are looking at carries the possibility of jail time. You can contact the public defender's office to see if you are eligible for their services if you can't afford a lawyer.

The outcome will in large part depend on your prior record. If you are a first offender, it is likely that you could get diversion or deferred adjudication, which are basically programs where you can complete the requirements and get your charges dismissed, allowing you to keep your record clear of a conviction. If you have a record, it is still a minor charge, so it is possible that an attorney could get you some kind of probation outcome.

Hello. Do you have any additional questions? I didn't hear back from you and I didn't get rated so I wanted to see if you needed any more information. Thanks.