How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26020
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

21 years ago I was convicted of burglary and recieved 4

Customer Question

21 years ago I was convicted of burglary and recieved 4 years probation I completed that. The burglary was me going in to my ex-wife's house and took some jeweley I had a key to the house. I was drinking heavily at that time and I regret that time in my life. I completed a treatment center and I am proud to say I am clean and sober for over 20 years. I am an Elder I my church and chairman of our church. I would like to know if I can get my right to own a gun back.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


When you are convicted of a felony, you lose both your state and Federal 2nd Amendment rights. To satisfy both the state and Federal government, you would need to get a pardon from the governor that expressly grants you your firearms rights back. Pardons are free to apply for and you would not be required to hire a lawyer in order to petition for one. I am attaching the application form here.