LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

I am on probation till the end of april i had a dui and

Customer Question

I am on probation till the end of april i had a dui and court fines in the amount of 2900.00 as of now, i want to leave the state after probation but PO officer tells me i have to pay full court fine before I leave, How would they know if i leave the state and pay on-line payments, My health is not good and need to get back to my family in VA, I am in AZ now and getting divorced, Is that true I have to pay whole fine? thankyou diana chandler
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon *****,

I'm ****, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While the court may have ordered that your probation would end on a given date---part of your probation is that you pay all of your court fines. By not paying the fines in full during your probation, technicality you violate probation and your probation will probably be continued and you will still be under the control of the probation office until you pay the fines off.

Paying your payments on line while out of state would not necessarily let the state know that you are out of state. However, you will have to get a new driver's license in VA and they will notify the state that you are there.

It is possible to transfer probation to another state, but you will need the permission of both your probation department in AZ as well as the office in VA that would be taking over the probation---and VA taking over your probation is not automatic. Alternatively, you could file a motion with the local court where you were convicted of DUI and ask to be released from probation so you can relocate because of your failing health and divorce.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug