Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Over A Decade Of Criminal Law Experience
12711280

How to get your criminal record clear of all charges

Customer Question

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 10 months ago.

I hope this message finds you well. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of criminal law experience handling matters like this one. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

The answer to your question, depending on the nature of the remaining charges, is that you have have them expunged from your record. To have a criminal charge expunged, you must file a Petition for Expungement in the court that the charge was filed. In the petition, you ask that your record be cleared of the charge(s) and that these charges are an impediment to your employment and opportunity. You then can show how you have been clear of criminal charges since and that you are a productive member of society. You can attach affidavits of respected individuals that know you that attest to your fitness and rehabilitation.

A criminal conviction cannot be expunged in Alabama...only a criminal charge. Under the new Alabama expungement law only cases where the charges are dismissed (with or without prejudice), no billed by the Grand Jury, or where the person is acquitted after a trial can be expunged. Misdemeanors, violations, traffic citations and violations, and municipal ordinance violations can be expunged. Felony cases can be expunged with certain restrictions.

If you have convictions, the best way to have your record cleared in to file to have the files sealed in the court in which the charges were filed. The process is the same as described above. The court will then have the sealed record order uploaded to the Criminal Information Center database and it works similar to having something expunged.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Please rate my answer positively as well (three or more stars).

Best wishes going forward!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am very pleased with my answer. Now I can move forward with this process. Thanks again

My pleasure. If you don't mind, please rate my answer on the rating interface on your side...three or more stars. That is how I receive credit. Thanks!

Just checking to make sure all was well on your side. I did not receive the 5 star rating and wanted to make sure that if you rated me, it went through...for both of our sake. Thanks!

Just checking in to see if you had any additional questions or comments. I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks