Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My name is ***** ***** and I was caught shop lifting at

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** and I was caught shop lifting at Walmart. My court date is today, I don't have a lawyer because I can't afford one and I'm freaking out. I have a son at home and nobody else can take care of him. I need to know what will happen today at court.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I was caught December 18, 2015 and brought into the security room. They wrote a statement out for the police. The police arrived and they arrested me. They asked me what happened and I broke down. They wrote me a citation and let me on my way. Also, walmart sent me a letter to pay $250.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Criminal Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I need to know whether I should plead guilty or not guilty? I have never been in this situation before and Im terrified. I don't know how I let myself get so low and I understand how irresponsible and how much this can hurt my future. I have so many things going for me right now. I have a job and going to start school by the end of this semester. Is there any way I can get this dismissed? My court date is today and I'm freaking out. I don't know what to do.
Expert:  Barrister replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ************** and I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Do you have any defense to the charge or do you acknowledge that it occurred?

.

Is this a first offence?

.

What was the value of the items taken?

.

.

thanks