Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  15 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

My 22yr old son bought a case of beer near s dorm room. Just

Customer Question

My 22yr old son bought a case of beer near his dorm room. Just outside the grocery store, his girlfriend called his cell phone, so he handed off the case of beer to his 20yr old roommate. Then, 2 undercover University police officers card the two of them. The 2 boys shall go before a magistrate with my son answering for giving an underage person alcohol. My son has told us everyone tells him he shouldn't get a lawyer. Is this true? What can we do to help?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes and ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Honestly, this is a story that the judge and prosecutor has heard a thousand times... So while it may actually be true with your son, it likely won't be believed. The facts of the situation are that son was seen giving alcohol to a minor, regardless of the reason, and that is going to be a tough charge to fight when the undercover officers testify as to what they saw..

.

So while he can pay an attorney $1,000-1,500 to initially represent him, and then probably another $2K if it goes to a trial, the odds aren't in his favor for a good outcome.

.

With that said, if he has a clean record otherwise, his better option is to see if he is eligible for "pretrial diversion" which is a program where he pays court costs and is then put on probation for a period of time, usually a year, and has to do some community service. If he does everything and stays out of trouble, the charge is then eventually dismissed and never shows up as a criminal conviction..

.

As an aside, in addition to being a former Public Defender, I served as a prosecutor for a State Alcoholic Beverage Control Office...

.

.

thanks