CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

Motion to travel. My lawyer is gone and I need to find out

Customer Question

Customer: Motion to travel. My lawyer is gone and I need to find out how to request for a motion to travel on my own
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I work for DoD and I need to travel for 2 days to Ramstein AFB in Germany. My probation is up in Mar. I am leaving on the 23rd. so time is extremely tight. I have also complied with all my probation requirement
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Criminal Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: okay
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 1 year ago.

23rd of January?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep...it was cancelled and then revived so now I have to go
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called and left a message with my probation officer but didn't get anything back

Thank you. The window is very tight. I say this because a motion would need to be filed ASAP. In the body of the motion, a party will want to show good cause / advise the Judge of why they need to travel and leave the country and provide specifics about their trip. The fact that you have complied with all the terms and conditions to date and this is work related, should be enough to allow the trip for 2 days, as long as the Judge does not think you are a flight risk but you do want permission. Moreover, you need to keep calling your PO and asking them the same. Once the motion is filed, you then need to get it set as soon as possible, essentially telling the court it is an emergency.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it by letter or are there official documents? When I went to the court yesterday I asked if a letter would be okay...they said no

What do you mean letter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay when travel first came up I asked my lawyer what I needed to do. He said write a letter to the judge..now I can't get in touch with him and the court secretary tells me I have to file a motion

Yes, it has to be in that form. You can ask the clerk for a blank motion and then write it on that but need to make sure the case styling is current. By that, I mean the court, case number, judge, parties, etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay..in that motion I explain the emergency as well?

Yes, you do not need the letter then. The motion is essentially the formal letter, where you explain to the Judge the reason you want to travel and your request. If you have something from your employer as well, attach it to support your request

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay got it.

Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. Thank you.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!