Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I got a non traffic citation summons in camp ll 41 dollars

Customer Question

I got a non traffic citation summons in camp hill for taking 41 dollars in goods. What hapoens next? I moved from nj and not familiar with this way of doing things..I have a impeccable background...zero criminal activity...i am also a stay at home dad of 2 children...i just made a mistake
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This would generally be a summary offense, which is a criminal infraction, if it is a first offense of this kind, since the amount of property you are alleged to have stolen is less than $150 in value. Generally, you'd be offered something like ARD for this. ARD stands for Alternative Rehabilitative Disposition and it's essentially an opportunity to work off your conviction by paying fines, doing some community service, taking anit-shoplifting classes and staying out of further difficulty with the law during a period of court mandated supervision. Do all of this successfully, and the charges will be dismissed and can be expunged from your record.

Although you'd be eligible for something like this, it may have to be negotiated for you, or there may be other ways of dealing with your case, depending upon the facts and circumstances. For that reason, and because even low level theft offenses can get in the way of professional and personal advancement, it's a good idea to have a lawyer with you when you appear in court.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand this is a crime but i have 2 children to tend to. How much would the fines be and could I pay them off with a plan
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

The fines, court costs and any other additional fees would depend upon how the case is acttually resolved. You could see the range of penalties for summary offenses here. But yes, you would be able to pay off your costs over time, and so long as you are responsible about that, it shouldn't be a problem.

It does benefit you, however, to take care of the fines as soon as possible, because while you owe money, the case cannot be removed from your record. The sooner you pay off any obligations, the sooner you can put the whole thing behind you.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

The fine for a first summary offense shoplifting under $150 shouldn't be more than $300. The additional costs depend on how the matter is resolved.