Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
26798026

I started a entertainment show while I was on unemployment,

Customer Question

I started a entertainment show while I was on unemployment, I had sponsors to pay the costs of the show, should I stop filing and if so how should I proceed?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

You're not eligible for unemployment during the weeks you did the show if:

1. You were not looking for work during that time, or
  2. You were busy with the show and therefore not available to work if a job had been offered. You would probably be considered self-employed during this time, and people who are self employed typically cannot get unemployment because they're working (even if they're not getting paid).

Any earnings made over $58 in a given week must be reported to Unemployment and could reduce your benefit. Gross wages are reported in the week they are earned, not when they are paid. If you were looking for work and free to accept work during that time, they'll calculate how much you're entitled to based on how much you were paid for the show.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.