Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
19127644

My name is ***** *****
, I got caught shop lifting at

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I got caught shop lifting at Shoppers Drug Mart by the loss prevention security guard. They called the police and the police did take down some of my information, but they did not arrest me. Can they still arrest me, and will this affect anything for my future i.e. jobs, travel, etc.?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Criminal Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. If this was a petty theft (depends on the value of what you were caught with and what State this was in), you wouldn't be arrested, you would generally just receive a summons to go to court. This would usually be considered a misdemeanor so, if you were found guilty, yes, it could effect your employment. That depends on what kind of industry you work in and what your job is. Usually, if someone has a conviction for theft, they cannot get jobs that involve handling money or budgets or any public responsibility jobs. So, if you do receive a summons you might seriously consider hiring a local criminal defense attorney to see if they can negotiate a plea for you where you get deferred prosecution. That, in essence, means that if you stayed out of trouble, there would be no conviction on your record. But, you will need to speak to your attorney about that.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. I will be logging off for several hours in a few minutes, so if your reply comes after that, I will respond as soon as possible when I return. Thank you